Name: Tim Readman [pronounced Redman ;-)]
Birthplace: Seaham, County Durham, England
Currently residing: Vancouver BC (East Side)
Musical past and present in one rambling run-on sentence:
First paid gig at 15 years old in the brutal working men’s club circuit back home, then on the North-Eastern English folk club scene, then Hawkwind-style space rock then prog-folk and on to new-wave then up to Newcastle upon Tyne for northern soul/ska and political world pop and a quick burst with 80’s hitmakers The Kane Gang…to Vancouver BC all sorts of music including funk and dance leading me back to folk roots and Celtic/folk …Got Fear of Drinking twice in my beloved East Side haunts on Main Street…played with The Arrogant Worms…did some producing…released 2 CDs of songs about Newcastle United Football Club …Artistic Director at Vancouver CelticFest…writer for Penguin Eggs…recorded a few Beatles tribute songs and now on to 2 theme songs for Geordie charity runner Mark Allison’s historic sponsored run which will take him across the whole of the USA in 2011…with a bit of other random shit in between for good measure.
1. Who are some of your favourite composers, musicians and bands from the past and present?
The Beatles, Steely Dan, Yes, Genesis, Jethro Tull, Iris Dement, Bjork, Bob Fox, Jez Lowe, Vin Garbutt, Chick Corea and Return to Forever , Mahavishnu Orchestra, Chumbawamba (Acoustic), Dexy’s Midnight Runners, Elvis Costello, Free, Frank Zappa, Lunasa, Gentle Giant, Gil Scott Heron, Lindisfarne, Liz Carroll and John Doyle, Los Lobos, Massive Attack, Madonna, Was Not Was, The Streets, The Unthanks, Led Zeppelin, Sandy Denny, Martin Carthy and Dave Swarbrick, Wishbone Ash, Hatfield and the North…it goes on forever!
2. Is there a particular song or musical passage that never fails to move you emotionally?
The Blaydon Races – by Geordie Ridley – The National Anthem of the Geordie Nation
3. How would you describe your perfect day?
Newcastle United 5 Sunderland 0
4. What would your friends say they appreciate the most about you?
Not drinking them under the table and then keeping them up all night anymore
5. What is your most valued material possession?
My Larivée acoustic guitar
6. Who were you, or would you be nervous to meet?
The devil at the crossroads
7. If you could blink your eyes and be in a favourite place right now, where would that place be?
St. James Park, Newcastle upon Tyne (when we are 5-0 up against Sunderland)
8. Is there something you would like to do more of in the future?
Co-write songs with rich and famous pop stars
9. Where would you like to find yourself in ten years?
In my own private box with my rich and famous pop star friends at St. James Park, Newcastle upon Tyne (when we are 5-0 up against Sunderland)